Sunday, November 23, 2014

Mid Season Finales are a Scam

So anyone with me on being against Mid Season Finales? I absolutely hate them, and as some people say it does not give you more episodes per season.

I am enjoying my Walking Dead season 5 so much but then a looming shadow is approaching. Like Jason chasing me through the woods of Crystal Lake. The mid Season Finale that TWD has made popular is fast approaching. In all honesty its friggin' annoying.

All the shows I watch are now incorporating this new way of life into their seasons. I just went through a serious binge on Grey's Anatomy and then suddenly the brakes were slammed and I now have to wait for the end of January for it to return. I am in the middle of watching How to get away with Murder and yet again 8 episodes in a mid season finale. I cannot win it is everywhere.

Just as an example there was a show called ER and they on average had 22 episodes per season excluding season 1 which was a whopping 25 episodes. Now what we get are 16 episodes in one season and we are suppose to be happy with that. I say F that, bring back more episodes

I feel mid-season finales and premiers are pointless and only serve the purpose to create more viewership so the networks in turn charge more for commercial time. Here are the prices for season 3 "$200,000 and $260,000 earlier in the year, according to two media buyers. And the network has been seeking as much as $375,000"(from adage.com from 2013). The $375,000 price tag is for the last minute buyers of the commercials,lol.  Looking at the average for this year as quoted from variety.com "AMC’s “The Walking Dead” commands an average of $413,695 for a package of ads across several runs of an episode, marking a 26.9% hike over 2013’s average of $326,000"

So my basic thought is that you make a great show that people love and crave. Once you know you have them hooked you now need to get more money. How can you tell advertisers we can guarantee more and more viewers. (this is my corporate voice)I got it, have you noticed how are ratings increase for the season premier and season finale? Well how about this we break our season into two parts then we have two season finales and two season premiers. Wait I am not done, then we will shorten the season so the time in between the premiers loses no steam. Then we slowly increase the cost of a commercial.

Or maybe I am just mad to be left hanging

Anyone agree or disagree, thoughts?

FS

No comments:

Post a Comment