Tuesday, December 30, 2014

HOW I MET MY FAVORITE SITCOM OF ALL TIME

Wrote this fresh after completing the final episode, take it is as is =)



May I say I am not a very sentimental person when it comes to tv, movies and cartoons. Do not get me wrong I can easily be swept away, and lost in their lore and taken to another world. When I say sentimental I mean cry because something touched me emotionally. Sure I got spooked with Lord of the Rings when Sam said"I cannot carry the ring sir, but I can carry you" then hoisted Mr.Baggins onto his back. I did not know if Frodo would live or die(no I did not read the books) but I held it back. Mufasa gets murdered in The Lion king, yes I cried I dare any of you not to cry during that(I was a kid), excuses aside I still cried. Toy Story 3 made a couple tears shed because if you know me I love toys and the ending made me think of my kid and passing toys on to them.

But this final season of "How I Met your Mother" really touched me in a way no bit of fiction has. What was so surprising about it is that I knew how the show would end. Its in its damn name for crying out loud. They keep you on hold for so long awaiting this huge moment and you are enjoying the ride but damn meet the mother already.  Was some of this drawn out,yes it was but I enjoy every moment with the HIMYM bunch. Something I told my wife was I love how I feel they are my friends. I felt like I was their friend. From the references to Cleveland(my home town) to all the geekness with my favorite line delivered by Marshall" Really, its not like its Voldemort." How they goof off and all the inside jokes. NPH is a gem and he should be shared with the world. I love them all as apart of this awesome show. I see why Aaron nominated for Stuff of the Year(I knew but it hits closer to home seeing the Finale)

In the final three episodes I watched and I do not know if the fact that i am a parent and married had an effect on me but I really felt the final three episodes. I was literally slow crying(couple drops come out at time over a period of time) watching the final fates of this cast become revealed.

SPOILER****************

The choice to divorce Barney and Robin after damn near two season dedicated to building up their relationship was a nice touch of reality. We all do not get the classic Disney happy ending. The reality of friends who would die for one another, who used to spend so much time together, did everything together I could truly understand as I had to deal with this on two fronts. When I came to college, and now with my friends here we all have separate lives now with families, jobs and goals. We still love one another and make an effort to see each other but it will never be the same as when we were younger. I am not knocking what I have now because I love my wife and kids they are beautiful. Just saying I can relate to all of this, and this is probably why it touched so close to home for me.

The twist ending once everything played out that I should have seen coming but was blindsided because I was so caught up in the moment of what was happening. Barney's moment with his daughter, i love that they kept him true to his character and that the only thing that could slow him down was his very own girl. She is going to be a problem, boys do not stand a chance.

I must have missed an episode because I do not remember them mentioning that Ted's wife passes away form being ill. To tell this whole story and have the name be for two different mothers,wow. maybe thats a stretch and maybe it cleaned up all to neatly. Either way I am still happy and can say this is my favorite televised comedy sit com now that I have completed the series.


-FS

No comments:

Post a Comment