Monday, September 22, 2014

Fandom or Not to Fandom

   I met a doctor this weekend and his name was Paul McGann, the 8th Doctor from the famed Doctor Who Series. I am not a Doctor Who fan, and I can understand the craze because I am a geek. I can geek out like a little school girl myself. Just as I did when I got my picture taken with Gimli (aka John Ryhs-Davies). So I will never disrespect a DW fan by saying I don't get it. Plus I love the brits, lol. 

   I happen to have had the pleasure of going to the Cincy Comic Con with the Sci Fi Photo Guys this weekend due to my part time employment with them as a digital artist. We were signed on to do the celebrity photography for the convention. We took pictures for Jason David Frank, Henry Winkler, Jewel Staite, Julie Newmar, Lou Ferrigno, Walter Jones, William Kircher, John Rhys-Davies, Paul McGann and all of the Boba Fet Actors. 

   What does your star level have to be before your passion for your fans fades. I have been to a few conventions and the difference in "I am here for my Fans" versus "I am here because I am paid" are becoming more and more apparent. 

  I single out Paul McGann because his attitude this weekend was amazing. He has only been in a movie for the DW series and as I have been told he is the last of the classic doctors. His popularity this past weekend was massive. Each one of his fans left with smiles of bliss and geekiness. Not to say there were not other actors and actresses who were awesome. I shout out John Rhys-Davies who, at the end of his photo line, pulled Hazel and I for Photos with him. While Mr.McGann sat in between photo sets, he told a very interesting story of how his role in DW has impacted him and placed a large responsibility on his shoulders. A responsibility that he welcomes. A powerful line he said was that "He would not be here if it was not for his fans." To hear him say this and then see him interact with each one of his fans was an awesome experience. He was by far the best of the weekend. Its one thing to say it but to actually show it in action with emotion is a something else. 

  His stellar attitude and cheerfulness has made me want to check out the DW series. Which I will be starting tonight. I wish other stars shared his attitude. I get it, I know some fans are crazy and can be overbearing, but you’re at a comic book convention for the fans. A place they can have access to you. That was my impression, but I could be wrong. If you’re not going to interact with the fans, then why be there? Now there are stars who are more popular that may share in Mr. McGann's attitude. I am not saying they don't exist, but there seems to be stars who are just there due to a pay check.           

   Another stand out bunch is the entire cast of Being Human. They took close to 100 pictures at Fandom Fest. Instead of just standing there and smiling, they came up with a different scene for each one of their fans, so all the pictures were original (yes all pictures). They then took the digitals of each picture to create a future coffee book for the fans. 

   This does not just happen with stars, but also comic artist as well. (If you notice I have not named the culprits, and I will not). I met one of my long time favorite artist a few years back. I approached him to talk to him just to say thanks, I love your work and you have inspired me as an artist. As I spoke he said nothing his head was down, drawing a comic image. I began to speak again and his wife spoke for him. She stated that she would be speaking if I needed anything. I said "Great, I need to talk to him please." She turned me down stating "He does not talk until 1:30pm where you can pay for the pic, and autograph." "I just wanted to say what an inspiration he was to me as an artist but thanks for changing my mind." The artist did not budge while his wife and I had this exchange. I notice people complain about comic artist not making money at conventions but with some having attitudes (not all) like this, who wants to talk to you.

   The comic convention is a place where we can talk to the people we adore and love as idols in our world. The one place originally where the geek is celebrated and allowed in public. Sadly I think with geek becoming the new way of life, the commercialization of it is taking away the genuine love for a lot of creators and stars. 

    If you stay at home only leaving to go to set, I get it you are not a people person. If you are attending comic conventions and participating in photo opts or meet and greets, then you should look like you enjoy it. It may be a fleeting moment to you, but to the fan that pays that $50-$100 ticket on top of a weekend pass to see you; its what they have been wanting for a very long time. Five minutes of you doing what you are getting paid to do goes a long way. I mean you’re an actor right? So can't you act like you’re having a good time? You never know who that one person you turn away may be or does to your future. What are your thoughts? While you think, take a look at this pic from the Sci Fi Photo Guys(check them out online and facebook they do great work). I believe it sums up what comic con should be.

Article by FS of The Stuff

https://www.facebook.com/thestuff2013
https://twitter.com/thestuff2013
http://instagram.com/thestuffpodcast
thestuff2013@gmail.com
https://soundcloud.com/the-stuff-podcast






No comments:

Post a Comment