Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Journey So Far

   First off, I want to say that I never envisioned The Stuff Podcast would be where it's at today. It's astounding and I'm very humbled by all the support the show has received. That goes with out saying, I can't not mention my co-host Michael Watson. He has been my rock, my best friend, and all around ass kicker. 

   I initially met Mike through a mutual friend of ours, Victor Dandridge. I was doing some event coverage for Creative Control Fest when he introduced us. We got to talking about our aspirations and realized that we couldn't not do something together. He mentioned he wanted to do a podcast and I mentioned I used to work for a podcast website. Magical ever since. Just kidding, it wouldn't be a really good story is it ended now. 

  After doing some planning, we decided to meet every Thursday evening at the Greater Columbus Convention Center. We went on to record over the course of several weeks near a coffee shop that closed right when we started the show. We were hassled by security, people passing by etc. It was stressful, but we managed. One day as we were leaving, I noticed that there was a comic book shop that was open. I've seen the store before, but it was always closed when we were recording the show. 

   I went in, talked to the store owner, Doug Simms, and mentioned that we did a podcast. He got really excited and told me he was looking to do a podcast for quite sometime now, but didn't know how to go about doing. This almost seemed too good to be true. He offered to let us record in the shop every week which took care of the problem being hassled. Doug went beyond that though. He offered to be a sponsor of the show, which is amazing. Because of this, we've been able to go to multiple shows in the comic convention circuit. 

  This past year has been a real fun experience for Mike and I. Though sometimes we might hit some rough patches with editing, upload times and so on, we've been able to turn something that was a hobby for us into a full on show that people listen to every week. If we can make this much progress in one year, I can't wait what the next year will bring for us. 

-James

No comments:

Post a Comment