Monday, September 15, 2014

You can only be the Best for so long

Logan this is very hard for me, saying goodbye. I mean I know your gonna come back in year maybe two years tops. So it really is not goodbye more so than see you later. You and I have been through so much.From the adamantium being ripped from outta you, to one handed killing machine, brain washing and attacking the marvel universe, being death and now finally death comes for the best there is. Sixth grade, I was 11 years old and I knew one thing for sure I hated comics, they made no sense to me. I did not see why people liked them so much. Those were the words that came out of my mouth to my friend Tom. his jaw dropped. He literally said we cannot be friends until I read X-Men, he said there was no way I could read that I still feel the same way about comics. He bugged me all day, I said ok. He brought them in the next day, a stack full of X-men, classic Blue and Gold. I had no idea what I was in for. At home in my bed reading X-Men #17. Blue Squad Cyclops, Psylocke, Beast, Jubilee, Gambit/Rouge(not in this issue) and Wolverine. Colossus is in this one too as a guest star, they are trying to fight off Omega Red. First impressions Wolvie is the shortest hero I have ever seen. He is smaller than everyone and all he has is claws. I mean the X-Men are pretty imposing just looking at them and judging a book by its cover and Omega Red is handing it to them. They are going down like flies except one hairy mutant. He just keeps getting up no matter how hard he gets knocked down(thanks to a mutant healing factor). I was in awe of this. I mean we were the same height, he really didn't have any powers like the other X-Men, he was a scrapper. I loved it. I have loved it ever since then. Despite all the good and the bad.Some of my favorite moments are when Wolverine is pushed beyond all limits. Some stories really stick out like Wolverine VS Sabertooth issue #90 the one they sold tickets too. The painful issue when he had the adamantium ripped out of his body by Magneto. Wolverine agent of Hydra, and my favorite Old Man Logan. I hated when they took his metal and he was rolling around with bone claws. It drove me crazy but when I think about it those were some of the best stories. Taking him to his lowest and having him claw his way back to the top.
Logan has been to so many places he has taken on the Hulk and almost killed him. Chose to become Death the Horseman of Apocalypse because he knew he should fight past the brain washing. I was a bit of a scrapper in high school. Looking back on those fights I got into(not that I recommend it)I had wolverine with me. His mentality, anger and will to win despite the opponents size, or skill. Maybe corny but he has greatly affected my life. I am drawing and into comics because of him. My daughter is named after him. Now after going down memory lane with my favorite character I am now reading "The Death of Wolverine" Now my only and biggest gripe with this is the fact that they have announced his Death. They took my experience away from me. I would have loved to read this as a special edition and been caught off guard by them killing him. I wanted to read the story and have the fear of not knowing what would happen to the best there is. Once you get past that the first issue is pretty damn awesome. They have managed to bring back a wolverine I have missed and did not even realize it. They brought the bad ass back. The reason I fell in love with this character. In the first issue of this story it has the makings and all the beats of X-Men 17, I was 11 all over again. It was so important my friend Victor stayed on the phone while I read the issue
This is probably one of the most annoying things about Wolverine and other characters. Why can he be written so well in one series but like ass in another. I mean I know it is hard to write this well consistently amongst other writers doing all types of things with the character but shouldn't that mean we should not over saturate the character? Its a double edged sword then right? The character is loved and wanted so put him in all we can, but we also have these special issues written and drawn by mega talent who create amazing stories. They get to write this way because of all the crap that is already out there. If a creative team was allowed to be on a book for longer than 4-6 issues we would get the best comics around. Example and case in point Invincible. Same creative team for a 100 issues. I know it is a different medium but what Marvel does on their cinematic universe needs to be applied to their comics. So I can say I am enjoying this it will be interesting to see what they or how they deal with his absence in the marvel universe. Comparative to the death of Superman this death will have the same ripple of effect on the Marvel universe. next week I will not take so long to look at issue 2 and 3 lol. You have to understand this is hard for me.....
Death of Wolverine #1 5 out of 5 Stuffs Death of Wolverine #2 3.5 out of 5 Stuffs

No comments:

Post a Comment